THIS IS A BIKER HEIST PACK ITEM!
Throwing Axes can be picked back up
|Internal name|| |
A sharp axe is never wrong, and as this one is especially good when throwing, it got popular amongst bikers. Riding a bike, can sometimes be dangerous, and you need some "protection". So this sporting axe suddenly ran out of stock as bikers found it extra handy for highway battles.
Throwing axes are one of the most powerful throwable items in the game, with a damage rating of 1100, being able to one hit kill any unit aside from the Bulldozer. It shares its damage with the Throwing Knife.
DLC owners spawn with three throwing axes, had they equipped it.
- Throwing axes will stick to any surface that you throw it at, including enemies. They will also sometimes rebound off of surfaces and roll across the ground.
- They cannot be restocked from ammo bags or from dropped ammunition from enemies unless the player has the skill Fully Loaded Aced. Instead, players can pick them back up by moving over them.
- They can also be restored from the grenade case asset, however you will only get 1 throwing axe back for each use of the asset.
Throwing axes are retrievable after use, thus essentially granting one an endless supply if they are adept at recovering thrown projectiles, though in practice often times these axes will end up somewhere unreachable, rendering them lost. For this reason, and due to the limited carry amount, it is advisable to refrain from throwing the axes at Snipers and/or distant targets.
Thrown axes can be replenished from Grenade Cases, though this would be entirely pointless as used axes can be picked back up after use, and in doing so one would also deprive the team of replenishing throwables that can't be picked back up, such as Molotovs and Frags unless the team has Fully Loaded Aced.
Throwing axes deal a tremendous amount of damage with every hit, yet the total amount one can carry is few, thus it would be most efficient to reserve them for special units. One well-aimed axe can instantly kill everything up to, and including, Cloakers, on Death Wish difficulty, while also taking off a sizable chunk of health from Bulldozers.
A very important aspect of the throwing axe is that can 1 shot a Skulldozer if one can proc a critical hit. With Low Blow, one can potentially gain up to a 30% critical chance for every axe, thus resulting in a maximum of 65.7% chance of success to kill a Skulldozer with the three starting throwing axes.
- The Throwing Axe is based on the Kit Rae® AirCobra™ Throwing Axe KR0055.
- The Throwing Axe is the fourth throwable weapon that:
- Can be retrieved after use;
- Deals direct damage instead of splash damage/AoE;
- Can be held before throwing, allowing one to "aim" where the axe will fly;
- Does not deal any damage to the user or their teammates;
- Does not create noise when thrown (however, it can indirectly cause noise by breaking windows).
- Although boasting similar stats, Throwing Axes have a different throwing pattern to Javelins. Javelins are thrown quickly through the air, in a fairly straight line, with the penalty of a slightly lengthy draw time. Throwing axes fly in shorter, arcing pattern, at a slower speed, but have the benefit of a quick draw time, allowing for them to be thrown in rapid succession, similar to the Ace of Spades and Shurikens.
- Contrary to the axe's announcement site description, a throwing axe would be next to unusable in "highway battles" as the user's vehicle and any targets would be going faster than the axe could feasibly be thrown. It could be used lethally if the target is behind the user's vehicle, but using the axe for this purpose would require looking behind the vehicle (which risks crashing into an ahead object or being attacked by another adversary) to be able to hit at all beyond sheer luck.
- The bikers could have conceivably used it as a regular hack-and-slashing tool as it was designed to be, however, and the throwing capability was added as an afterthought.