As of the current build of the game, there are a total of 25 ranks of Infamy, 5 of which were released on January 22, 2014. The remaining 20 ranks were released on March 5th 2015 in the Infamy 2.0 update.
Infamy is a game-extending feature in PAYDAY 2. It enables players at reputation 100 to "reset" their characters in order to begin again with pre-owned gear. Players going Infamous are given a warning at the point of decision, with declining the choice not changing anything; accepting it erases all of their skill progression along with spending cash (first five levels) and resets their Reputation Level to 0. There are 25 tiers of Infamy in total, and the standard Infamy fee is $200M for the first five tiers.
At launch, Infamy progress is tracked by a separate tree not unlike the player's skill trees, with the acquisition of one Infamy tier granting access to the next one. As of the Infamy 2.0 update, the interface has been changed to a grid.
The requirements for leveling up one's Infamy are:
- $200,000,000 offshore money (first 5 levels only).
- Reputation 100.
Once these requirements are fulfilled, an additional button will appear in the menu. If the player chooses to level up their Infamy:
- All spending cash is burnt. (first 5 levels only)
- Reputation is reset to 0.
- Weapons and armor that were unlocked via reputation become locked again.
- Skills are reset and all unspent skill points are wiped.
- $200,000,000 is deducted from the offshore account (first 5 levels only).
However, the player keeps:
- Owned weapons.
- Weapon mods.
- Existing Infamy upgrades.
- Masks, colors, materials and patterns.
- Purchased weapon and mask slots.
- Any offshore money left after the $200M deduction.
- Offshore account and spending cash remain intact from Infamy 6 upwards.
- Any built-up boost or penalty applied to a mission.
- Perks and perk points.
The player is rewarded with the following:
- A numeral (1 to 25) depicting their level of Infamy next to their name.
- One Infamy skill point.
- A spade icon (♠) in front of the in-game name.
- Special Infamy sound effects.
- Infamy background music.
- One Infamy card depending on their Infamy level.
- A special pose and an Infamy card for their character while in a lobby.
- A class skill point requirement reduction (specific tiers only).
- An increased Infamous-grade item drop rate.
- An XP requirement reduction (additional XP gain, counted as Infamy bonus in a payday).
- An Infamous-grade mask, pattern and material set (specific tiers only).
- When you increase your Infamy level, you lose all of your spending cash, but not your inventory items. Instead of letting it go to waste, use your cash to buy the most expensive guns you can, until you are out of cash or inventory slots. After your Infamy level increases, you can sell off the items you bought to get back a portion of your spending cash.
- Once all your gun slots are full, consider using the cash to buy and customize masks. Some masks can be sold directly from your Stash. However, customizations are only sold when a customized mask is sold or returned. As with the weapons, buy the most expensive items you can afford.
- Dropping all skill trees in all skill sets before leveling up your infamy will give you additional cash to purchase inventory items to sell after you level up.
- Resist temptation to go hog wild; unlock weapons and mask slots only as needed. You can easily spend all your cash unlocking slots, which you then can't fill and can't sell back.
- Don't bother modding the weapons you intend to sell back. You don't get money back for returning mods. Pre-modding weapons you intend to keep makes sense, however (see below regarding reputation-locked weapons).
- (Console only) Consider speccing Black Marketeer before going Infamous to buy the weapons at a reduced price.
- Be aware of which weapons are locked to specific Reputation Levels, and which are available for use from the beginning. Even if you already own a weapon, you will not be able to use it again until you reach the Reputation Level at which it unlocks. With this in mind, make sure you have a good selection of modified weapons to use once you return to a Reputation Level of zero.
- Some favorites are the Eagle Heavy, Commando 553, Gruber Kurz, and/or SpecOps.
- If you don't own DLC, Akimbo Bernetti 9s or Akimbo Crosskills work with the Ambidexterity perk; and the AMCAR and Chimano 88 starter weapons, though weak, are always an option.
- The consequences of having all weapons Reputation-locked after going infamy is that the game will automatically replace the primary and secondary weapons in the first weapon slot with unmodded AMCAR and Chimano 88.
- If you do not have the I'm a Healer-Tank-Damage-Dealer achievement by this point, this is a good opportunity.
- Some Infamy bonuses reduce the tier requirements for specific skill trees. While it may seem beneficial to invest in a skill tree you favor, this may not be the best option. Instead, look at a skill tree that has certain high-level skills you would like to acquire, but not enough low-level skills worth investing in to unlock it. If you have ever found yourself struggling to find a place to spend your skill points just so you can unlock the tier with the skill you really want, that tree is a good place to consider spending your Infamy point.
NOTE: Despite multiple Infamy sets providing a skillpoint requirement reduction for the Fugitive skill tree, these reductions do not stack, meaning that going Infamous more than twice (as the starting point does not provide such bonus) and choosing more than one set will not further reduce the skill point requirement (i.e from 10% to 20% and so on) for that tree.
Infamous (Card Drops)Edit
Rare masks are unlocked via card drops. Each card drop has a 5% chance to include infamous items in its loot pool. The chance of getting a mask ranges from 9.8% at level 1 to 15% at level 90+. Without any DLCs, 12 out of the 50 masks you can receive from a PAYDAY are infamous (with all available DLCs as of 30 July 2014, it is 12 out of 69). If you have no masks in your inventory, the chance of receiving an infamous mask during a payday thus ranges from 0.12% (level 1) to 0.18% (level 90+). When a mask is in your inventory, that mask's likelihood of showing up during a PAYDAY is halved. Playing on Very Hard or Overkill doubles or triples your chance to enable infamous items for that mission's PAYDAY (Death Wish does not affect the chance; the author assumes this is a bug). Equipping a fully unlocked Perk Deck increases the chance to enable infamous items by 10% of its normal chance. At level 90+, with all DLCs, every non-infamous mask in your inventory, with no infamous masks in your inventory, with a full perk deck equipped and playing on Overkill difficulty, the resulting chance is 0.81%.
These are rewards from the Infamy skill tree. They can't drop during a PAYDAY and it can't be sold. Instead, they can be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost.
Death Wish UpdateEdit
These masks are unlocked by beating every mission (if a missions has a normal and pro job variant, you need to complete both) on a certain difficulty. For example, beat all missions on Death Wish difficulty to unlock the Death Wish Skull. They can't drop during a Payday and they can't be sold. Instead, they can be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost.
Note: It should be noted that all DLC missions must be completed for the masks and achievements to unlock even if the players do not own the DLC. This includes DLC released after the Death Wish Update such as Shadow Raid and The Big Bank.
The Shadow Raid HeistEdit
You can unlock this mask by completing the "I Will Walk Faceless Among Men" achievement. It can't drop during a PAYDAY and it can't be sold. Instead, it can be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost.
Bonnie Character PackEdit
You will unlock 1 of the "Bonnie" mask in your inventory, but will have to get the "Bonnie Begins" from a Card Drop. The "Bonnie" mask can't drop during a PAYDAY and they can't be sold. They can both be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost.
You can unlock this mask by completing the Hoxton Breakout heist. It can't drop during a PAYDAY and it can't be sold. Instead, it can be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost.
You can unlock "The Hard Hat" mask in your inventory by completing the "I'm An Avenger!" achievement. It can't drop during a PAYDAY and can't be sold. It can be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost. The "Hoxton Reborn Begins" mask can be acquired from a Card Drop.
You can unlock "Rad Mutant" mask in your inventory by completing the "They Don’t Pay Us Enough" achievement. It can't drop during a PAYDAY and can't be sold. It can be returned to your mask stash for free, but any pattern, color or material as well as the customization fee to put these together will be lost.
These are rewards from the Infamy skill tree. These materials cannot drop during a payday and are free to craft, therefore cannot be sold, they are returned to your stash instead.
Rare materials are unlocked via card drops. Infamous items have a 0.7% base chance of dropping, sans the Archnemesis mask, which uses the Bronze material by default.
These are rewards from the Infamy skill tree. These patterns cannot drop during a payday and are free to craft, therefore cannot be sold, they are returned to your stash instead.
Rare patterns are unlocked via card drops. Infamous items have a 0.5% base chance of dropping.
Colors are one-time-use items. If a set of colors is used on a single mask, then it will be permanently removed from your inventory. In some cases, the color shown in the squares differs significantly when applied to a mask; for example, for some masks, dark blue might become sky blue, and light blue might become pure white. This mainly depends on the material used for the mask.
- The resetting nature of the Infamy system is akin to that of the Prestige functionality of the Call of Duty series, though with retained weaponry and perks instead of a clean wipe like the latter.
- Before the Infamy 2.0 update, Infamy levels were divided into tiers and the player would go up to get more levels (as it is still done in the skill trees). Since the second update, however, Infamy levels follow the new design, which gives much more importance to how you spend your Infamy points.
- Originally, there were going to be 14 (XIV) levels, not 25 (XXV), before the Infamy 2.0 update was announced.
- Even though the level name system uses regular numerals instead of roman numerals, the cards still use roman numerals.
| Becoming Infamous
Reach the first level of Infamy.
| Becoming Disgraceful
Reach the second level of Infamy.
| Becoming Wicked
Reach the third level of Infamy.
| Becoming Notorious
Reach the fourth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Vicious
Reach the fifth level of Infamy.
The following appeared on January 13, 2014, and were replaced when Update #22 was released on January 22, 2014.
| You put on the mask
and lost your good name
| You robbed the bank
and lost your good name
| You fought the law
and lost your good name
| You done the crime
and lost your good name
| You'll do the time
to earn your scandalous repute
| Becoming Villainous
Reach the sixth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Abominable
Reach the seventh level of Infamy.
| Becoming Fiendish
Reach the eight level of Infamy.
| Becoming Heinous
Reach the ninth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Mean
Reach the tenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Dangerous
Reach the eleventh level of Infamy.
| Becoming Fearless
Reach the twelveth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Nefarious
Reach the thirdeenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Disreputable
Reach the fourtheenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Fearful
Reach the fiftheenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Opprobrious
Reach the sixteenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Shady
Reach the second seventeenth of Infamy.
| Becoming Savage
Reach the eighteenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Abhorrent
Reach the nineteenth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Sly
Reach the twentieth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Crafty
Reach the twenty first level of Infamy.
| Becoming Shameless
Reach the twenty second level of Infamy.
| Becoming Diabolical
Reach the twenty third level of Infamy.
| Becoming Ferocious
Reach the twenty fourth level of Infamy.
| Becoming Monstrous
Reach the twenty fifth level of Infamy.
The following appeared on February 25, 2015. They got replaced on March 5, 2015.
|for the past|
|year and half.|