|This article is about the PAYDAY: The Heist mission. For the similarly-named PAYDAY 2 heist, see The Diamond.|
- "25 million reasons to avoid guards and gunfire"
- —Poster tagline
Diamond Heist is a heist that takes place in a privately owned skyscraper containing a jewel vault. It was stated by Overkill that this heist would be the most difficult in the game.
The crew breaks into the Garnet building skyscraper with the intent of robbing Garnet's vault of its valuable jewels.
- "The 22nd floor of the Garnet Group Skyscraper holds $20 Million in diamonds, owned by Mr. Nathan Garnet. The top three floor all have high tech security systems and trigger happy guards. Luckily for us, there's also some "celebration" in progress. If we can get to all the alarm boxes without being detected, the vault will open and will relieve Mr. Garnet of his wealth without firing a single shot."
- —In-game description.
The heist begins with the crew entering on one of the three floors needing to attach tablets to at least three different panels throughout the building in order to disable the building's security system. The player's presence is unknown, and if they are able to avoid the eye sight of the security guards, the crew can avoid conflict for the first phase of the heist. If the players are seen, or if they are heard firing their weapons, the alarm will sound and the police will arrive.
Once the tablets are finished, the lasers in front of the vault are disabled. One of the crew must go down to the vault and interact with the keypad to enter the codes. Most of the time the vault doors will remain closed and the crew will have to find alternate ways to open it, although there is a small chance the crew's codes will work and the door will open, dramatically reducing the amount of time and effort needed to complete the heist. If the codes work, the alarm will not go off; if they don't, SWAT and police forces will arrive.
If the doors remain closed, the players must make hostage exchanges between the skyscrapers owner, Mr.Garnet, making various trades between the CFO and Garnet's son, Ralph. Once the hostage trades are completed, the codes will work and the vault will open. Players will then be able to finally remove the jewels from the vault and make their escape via a helicopter piloted by Bain.
|1||Sneak and access the alarm boxes||20||25||49||49|
|2|| Plant tablets on the remaining alarm boxes|
(if alarm is activated before all devices are planted)
|3||Enter the codes||196||245||490||490|
|4*||Change of plan, get the CFO||294||368||735||735|
|5*||Wait for Bain||196||245||490||490|
|6*||Get Mr. Garnet's son Ralph||294||368||735||735|
|7*||Wait for the time lock||98||123||245||245|
|8||Steal the diamonds||98||123||245||245|
* Does not take place in every playthrough; depends on random variables (see walkthrough).
- Early screenshots show that the guards were going to wear the default white T-shirts, and jeweled necklaces were present in place of the sapphires.
- Likewise, early screenshots and videos showed the level to be brightly lit with all the lights on. This was changed in the final version where most of the rooms are dark with no lights on or the lights being dim.
- According to an unused texture file, this heist was originally supposed to be set during daytime.
- The official soundtrack of this heist is Breach of Security by Simon Viklund and was remixed for The Diamond heist in PAYDAY 2.
- This was previously only available on the Hard and Overkill difficulty levels, but has since been patched to be available on Normal difficulty as well. It is still not playable on Easy, however.
- A lot of funny nameplates like "TheEngiGuy", "Nothing", etc. they are the lucky 200 (the first 200 people to post evidence of getting to reputation level 145, in a thread on the Payday Steam Forum).
- The vases in the vault are an exact replica of Ulf's vase in the office. It was placed there "so we could shoot it." If the player breaks one of the vases, their character may say something about how it is worth it to steal Garnet Group's diamonds and break their expensive vases.
- When having to lead the CFO to the roof, there is a possible glitch where the CFO continues moving forward without the need of being told by any players.
- When stealing the diamonds, sometimes a character will say, "Gotta catch 'em all," referencing the Pokémon theme "Gotta Catch 'em All."
- One of the display cases on the right side of the vault does not have anything in it. It used to house a present before the presents were relocated on Christmas 2012.
- After Bain throws the CFO through the atrium ceiling, sometimes a character will say, "Yipee ki-yay, motherfucker!", referencing John McClane's famous line in Die Hard, and Hans Gruber's somewhat similar fate where he falls from the highest floors of the Nakatomi Tower onto the streets below.
- On the seventh trip, Bain will say "There, you've gotten your trophy, now get in!", referencing the achievement/challenge "Are You Ready Yet?" and breaking the fourth wall in the process. Bain will say this even if the heist is played on Normal difficulty, even though the achievement can only be done on Hard or Overkill.
- If the player gets spotted while in the process of hacking an alarm box. It will still be 100% completed when they finish.
- There are several advertisements for a new brand of diamonds (Z Collection) depicting Sonja Kinski, the face model of Zoey from Left 4 Dead (with the caption "For her, the future shines bright").
- Getting the big diamond in diamond heist makes the character say "My precious!", in reference to the character Gollum from J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit book series.
- Even though player can see flashlights attached to their teammates' weapons, the attachments are not visible from that player's own perspective.
- The DJ at the party will occasionally announce the name of the next requester for the upcoming music piece. The names the DJ says are from the list of 200 players that have gotten their name in the game.
- During the stealth portion of the heist, if the player goes onto the roof and goes next to the skylight where the party is located, the player can shout at the civilians to get down and they will comply. This won't cause the stealth to fail and is most likely a bug.
- The songs that are played at the party are all original songs by the game's composer Simon Viklund. These songs originally had no relation to Payday.
- When the crew successfully disables the second security box during the stealth portion, Bain will comment that he sees the CFO at the party. Despite Bain's comment, the CFO is never at the party.
- Garnet Group is the name of the company that the crew infiltrates and robs from. Their logo can be seen on a few boxes in PAYDAY 2 during the Jewelry Store heist, hinting that the company may distribute their jewelry to stores.
- When the players get the Big Diamond, the players will only earn the money for it ($500K) when they escape.
- The player can only destroy all cameras on Overkill/Overkill 145+ difficulties, and that is if the Big Diamond spawns.
- Sometimes. if the player gets spotted on the Atrium on floor 22, Bain will say "The lasers at the vault doors should deactivate right about, now", even if the player doesn't have all 3 alarm boxes disabled.
- When the player places the Cutter to get the Big Diamond, the alarm will still be off and there won't be an assault wave, despite it saying there is one in progress. The only way there could be one is if the player get spotted.
- If the player shoots at the glass that has the Big Diamond on the other side, it will be blocked and rendered inaccessible.
- The AI crewmates are invisible to the guards during the stealth phase.
- The "Big Diamond" featured in the heist is not a "diamond" at all. It is, either coincidentally or intentionally, a Garnet (as evident by its brown-red tint), carved into the shape of a diamond.
- The nametags used by guards reads "Mr Hyde". This could be a reference to the eponymous fictional character from the novella Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
|Heists|| Release: First World Bank • Heat Street • Panic Room • Green Bridge • Diamond Heist • Slaughterhouse|
DLC: Counterfeit • Undercover • No Mercy
|Weapons|| Primary: AMCAR-4 • Reinbeck • M308 • Brenner 21 • AK|
Secondary: Mark 11 • Locomotive 12G • Compact-5 • GL40
Pistols: B9-S • Crosskill .45 • Bronco .44 • STRYK
|Deployables||Ammo bag • Doctor bag • Trip mine • Sentry gun|
|Enemies|| Regular: Security guard • Cop • FBI • Gangster • Blue SWAT • Heavy SWAT • Murkywater|
Special: Bulldozer • Cloaker • Shield • Sniper • Taser
|Characters||Dallas • Hoxton • Wolf • Chains • Bain • Minor characters|
|Gameplay||Assault Waves • Cable Ties • Civilians • Drills • Environmental hazards • Police Custody • Reputation • Risk Level (Overkill 145+) • Shout • Stealth • Upgrades|
|Miscellaneous||Achievements • Challenges • Companies (GenSec • Murkywater) • DLC • FBI • Gangs & Mafias • Masks • Options • Overkill Software • Steam Trading Cards • Timeline • Update history|